Thursday, February 23, 2006

off topic: In Memory of Mary

This past weekend the mother of one of my husband's best friends passed away. I just returned to Chicago from the funeral and visitation in Michigan... and as these types of events tend to do, I have been doing a lot of thinking.

TODAY- make sure to hug your family & friends, make sure they know how much they mean to you. Mary was only 57 when she passed away- she went peacefully in her sleep but still too soon and it was completely unexpected. We all know that tomorrow is promised to no one, but it's so easy to forget that in the daily hustle and bustle of life. Not only was Mary an extraordinary person whom everyone adored & will miss, but you can't help but wonder how you would feel if that was your mother... As tragic as her passing was, I think we all walked away with a newfound respect for life and the gifts of each day.

We should all hope to touch as many lives and be as loved as Mary was. She was just a normal person from western Michigan, a mother of three, local elementary school principal... and yet she had over 1,200 people come to her visitation. That is a number I cannot even fathom - I thought that happened only for celebrities. People were lined up so far that the line to pay respects stretched out of the church and around the block. What an amazing legacy to the life she lived.

Sorry from the departure from my normal excited wedding banter, but had to share what's on my mind... don't forget those hugs to your loved ones!
Nicole

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home